Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Dijon Mustard Chicken Fricassee

So before I get started talking about this delicious recipe, I have to confess that since I've been able to eat chicken and dairy again, I've gained 10 pounds. Of course, if you saw me, you'd tell me to shut up because even after the 10, I still only weigh 110 pounds, but trust me when I say that weight (or lack thereof) is not something I would ever brag about.

Back in early 2011, once I was realized what was causing my extreme digestive issues and I had the appropriate allergy tests done, I cut out all meats (except fish) and any product that had come from meat (eggs, milk, cheese, pudding, etc.), but because it took another year and a half for my stomach to recover from all the damage that meat allergies and a gluten intolerance had done, I continued to have considerable digestive upset from the foods that I could eat. So, I got used to living on black beans and rice because that was the one dish that caused no negative effects. Naturally, I lost weight. At my smallest, I weighed 97 pounds, which is not too terrible for someone 5'1" with tiny bones, but I was down to a size two and people that hugged me exclaimed how tiny I felt. My in-laws worried that I was dying.

All that to say that now that I can eat chicken and dairy again (but not other meats), I'm glorying in it. I have decadent chicken dishes at least twice a week and a weekend is not a weekend without homemade ice cream. 

This recipe certainly tastes decadent, yet it's very easy to pull together and the flavor is like nothing you can identify. 

Dijon Mustard Chicken Fricassee (4 servings)
Ingredients:
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tbsp olive oil
1 white onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup Dijon mustard (I use my favorite brand Maille)
1/2 bundle fresh parsley, minced
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup cooking sherry
Seasonings: salt, thyme

Directions:
1. Combine mustard, 2 tbsp fresh parsley, thyme, and chicken into a gallon Ziploc; toss to coat and then refrigerate overnight
2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat; meanwhile, remove chicken from the marinade (you can throw the leftover marinade away), add a little salt to each side of the chicken, and once the Dutch oven has heated up, add the chicken
3. Cook chicken for 5 minutes, turn, cook for an additional 5 minutes, and then remove from the pot
4. Add the onion to the pot and cook until almost tender
5. Add the garlic, cook about 2 more minutes, and then add the broth and sherry, turn heat up to a boil and scrape the pan to remove any brown bits from the bottom
6. Once the mixture has reached a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, add a little thyme and parsley, and then add the chicken back to the pot, cover, and cook for 20-25 minutes
7. Remove chicken from the pot, and if there is a lot of liquid left, or if it's very thin, increase the heat to medium up to medium-high, and cook the liquid until it has reduced and thickened
8. Spoon the liquid over the chicken and sprinkle with fresh parsley

This work by Chassity Johnson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License (2013)

2 comments:

  1. Chassity, I'm so glad you finally got to ADD something to the list of foods you can east instead of subtract something! And, I miss you terribly! I sent you an email recently cuz I'm thinking of you. I hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ryan! Yeah, it's great. Now I'm a chicken-aholic! I feel bad because chickens are treated terribly, but it's so nice to have more food to eat. =)

    ReplyDelete